The clean, crisp flavors of this salad make it delicious; the fact that it's packed with good fats, carbohydrates and proteins means it's healthy. In fact, the health benefits of avocado and beans make both ingredients mainstays in my weekly meal planning.
Avocado, Jicama, and Black Bean Salad
To pit and dice an avocado, cut in half lengthwise, seperate and gently strike the pit with the heal of your chef knife. Twist to remove. Once the pit is removed, place each avocado half in the palm of your hand. Using a small knife, cut into the flesh in a crosshatch pattern. Run your thumb between the avocado flesh and peel to release the diced avocado into a bowl.
Serves 4 to 6 as side salad
- 3 ripe avocados, cut in half, pitted and diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 small jicama (about 1 pound), peeled and diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 small jalapeno, thinly sliced widthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
Combine avocado, lime juice, jicama, black beans, cilantro, and jalapeno in a large bowl.
Drizzle olive oil on top. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss.