Roasting vegetables has three benefits: the water evaporates, intensifying the flavor; the nutrients aren't lost in the cooking liquid; and the caramelization of the natural sugars both sweetens them and makes them GBD (golden brown and delicious).
Roasted Cauliflower with Almonds, Raisins and Baby Spinach
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 head of cauliflower (2 ½ to 3 pounds), cut into 1 ½ to 2 -inch florets
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- Juice of one medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss together cauliflower, garlic, red pepper flakes and oil. Place on a cookie sheet and roast until florets begin to caramelize, 35 to 40 minutes.
Sprinkle almonds on top of cauliflower and roast for another 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and transfer ingredients to a large bowl using a rubber spatula. Toss with spinach and raisins while still warm.
Cover with plastic wrap until spinach wilts, 10 to 12 minutes.
Remove plastic. Drizzle cauliflower with lemon juice and oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir gently to incorporate. Serve while still warm or refrigerate.
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.